Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day...

Okay, so Mother's Day is not my favorite "holiday" at all considering the fact that Brent and I have been trying to get pregnant for 4 years now. This holiday to me is like Valentine's Day is to those who are single. As much as I like to think this day to be more of a celebration and appreciation for my actual mother, step mother and mother-in-law, it still looms the fact that its a celebration of "becoming a mother".

A friend and I spoke at church yesterday about this. She also has gone through great difficulty in getting pregnant and unfortunately will not be able to have her own biological children. I felt great relief to speak with someone who actually UNDERSTANDS my situation. She and I were presented with an ackward feeling during Primary. When Primary was over a 10 year old girl came up to both of us and said "Happy Mother's Day". My friend and I knew this little girl knew that we don't have any children. Both my friend and I knew exactly what each other was feeling.

Another situation that presented itself was when my wonderful counselor in Primary told the Primary children that I was the "mother of the Primary". As much as I love my counselor that just struck a cord. I love my Primary kids, but I just didn't like the sound of that. I want to be the mother of MY kids. The whole day at church just annoyed me.

In the brightside, my friend and I thought about how we both are "mother's" to our dogs. Even though I don't have any of my own children, I am grateful to be the mother of my wonderful dogs, Charlie, Bauer and Layla. They have child like tendencies and Brent and I love them so much.

4 comments:

  1. Amen!
    You were one of my first thoughts yesterday. Glad to see you're still with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great mother to those lucky dogs! I love you, and please know that you are in our prayers always! I can understand how hard Mother's Day can be. ~ Thanks for the fun times this last weekend! I am SO glad we moved back to Fresno! ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amalia,
    I was at your wedding reception :) but you don't know me, but I know your cute hubby! I just wanted to give you a big HUG, I was in your spot for many years and yearned for that title of mother......Brent probably knows most of the story but his darling mom knows it all and was by our side on many tough days - I love that lady! I pray a little one finds her/his way to your family and fills your arms and heart very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Hugs* You are awesome! I am so glad I'm in primary with you!

    ReplyDelete